Monday, January 26, 2009

Book Review - The Art of Influence

The Art of Influence
By Chris Widener
ISBN-10: 0385521030
ISBN-13: 978-0385521031


The Art of Influence: Persuading Others Begins With You

I'm proud of the fact that I finished this. Usually I would just toss it. I gave it two stars only because I think people that don't like to read business books might like this parable as it is easy to read. It was completed the evening I picked it up at the library.

Essentially it is a fable about a business school student who gets to spend a couple of days with a young billionaire and he learns about business from him and his friends. Then when its over, the wealthy business man hands him a check for $50,000 and says "go ye therefore and prosper."

While I get the four laws of influence, I could have gotten them in a memo. I know that integrity is everything and I don't need rich Mr. Gold saying no to a $500 million opportunity because the CFO told his assistant to lie and say that the envelope shipped yesterday. Lot's of crap.

Don't waste your time or your money, unless the book is free and you hate reading business books.

No comments:

Post a Comment